On November 29, 1897, a charter for a synagogue in the city of Erie was approved by a local judge and recorded December 28 of that year. Congregation Brith Sholom was born.
In August 1901 the first building was purchased at 324 East 18th street. In February 1906, the "Brith Sholom Church," as it was called, was sold, and the congregation moved to a lot on French Street, between 7th and 8th Streets. In 1950, the congregation moved into a new building---the Jewish Center on 32nd and State Street where we remain to date.